Skip to main content

How We Got Here

October 18, 2017, is the day my handsome baby boy was brought into this world. It was 2:19am, and I was quite exhausted from having been up the whole day before and then delivering a baby. Labor and delivery were relatively quick, at least quicker than I thought they would have gone. From what I could tell, everything was going great, until my son came out.

My doctor and I talked about what my preferences were during and post delivery. When things did not go as planned, I knew something wasn't quite right. As soon as my son was born, the doctor cut the cord and rushed Bren away, which is definitely not what we talked about. So, I laid there and waited for the doctor to inform us as to what was going on. She did not come back quickly. I had asked another doctor that was in the room, who happened to be a good friend of ours, what was going on and the response I received was "she is using the bag to breathe for him right now". Some people thought that should have scared me, but it didn't. I had complete trust in our doctor and that she was going to do everything she could for our little boy.

I laid there for what felt like forever. Eventually we were told our baby had aspirated meconium and was going to be transferred to Madison to continue to be monitored. I got up, showered, and dressed, to everyone's amazement, and was ready to leave when the Madison team got to the hospital. One of the Madison team members told us about the cooling process that likely would take place. She explained that the cooling process would stop any secondary brain injury from occurring. At that point I stopped listening. Brain injury?!? SECONDARY brain injury?!? Questions raced through my head as I tried to hold it together. One of the nurses from the Madison team told me it was okay to cry and began to cry with me. I continued to try and hold it together as they took my baby boy to the ambulance and I stayed waiting to get discharged.

I do not remember much of the discharge conversation but I do remember the nurse telling me that I needed to be able to talk to people about what happened. I remember my doctor telling me it is okay to cry. I remember our good friend(another doctor) praying with us. I was in and out of the delivery room in less than 12 hours.

The rest of that day is mostly a blur. I remember bits and pieces but not most. That was likely due to the exhaustion I was experiencing but also due to the trauma that was occurring around me. Even as I sit here now and type this, the emotions are flooding me all over again. I felt the punch in the gut when talking about the brain injury. I felt the disbelief as I remembered the Madison team taking my baby away. I felt the struggle as I tried to hold it together all over again.

I knew having a baby would change our lives forever but I definitely did not think that we would have the new normals that were lying ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICU

The NICU. This is one post I wish I didn't have to write. And I suppose I do not really have to, but it is such an important piece to this story, that it felt wrong to leave it out. We spent 19 days in the NICU. 19 days. Those were the longest 19 days of my life. We arrived there just hours after Bren was born. He was started on a cooling treatment. This treatment cooled Bren's body down but the true intent was to stop any secondary brain damage from happening. Cooling treatment lasts for 72 hours. Bren was scheduled to end this treatment and start warming on Saturday morning. Bren had a rough time warming up and did not actually complete the treatment until Sunday afternoon. 4.5 days. That's how long the treatment took. That's how long it took for me to be able to hold my baby boy. You see, I wasn't allowed to hold him when he was cooling because holding him would allow his body to warm up too much. That was hard. Really hard. I couldn't hold and comfort my b

A Letter To My Kiddo With Disabilities

Hey Kiddo,  When your dad and I first found out you were going to be part of our family; I couldn’t stop myself from dreaming and having goals for you. I was excited to watch you play soccer and be in the band. I was excited for you to love reading just as much as me. I even thought about what your long term future would hold and if you would get married and have your own kids.  The day of your birth was one of the happiest but also the scariest day of my life. We almost lost you. But thanks to an awesome, loving, gracious God and your amazing doctor, you were able to stay here on Earth with us. You survived our nightmare. You were not given very good outcomes in the NICU but that has never stopped you from progressing and flying past the expectations they put on you.  My dreams for you changed, that day in the NICU when they told us you have HIE and likely will develop CP and a list of other diagnoses and to never expect you to lead a “normal” life. Instead of dreaming of you

Welcome to Platteville

I stared at the blank page for a while before being able to put these words on a page. This piece was harder for me to write than others have been. There is something about putting words on paper that make it seem more real. There is something about anticipating the response of others that makes me hesitate. And that something? It’s fear. It’s fear of defeat. It’s fear of vulnerability. It’s fear that when I put these words on paper, things cannot or will not change. However, when I really stop to think about it, I do not want things to change. You see, I never wanted to live in a small town. Up until 5.5 years ago, I had lived in big cities. I grew up in Waukesha and then went to school in Eau Claire. Both of those cities are beautiful and have so much to offer. There are shops, bookstores, coffee shops, recreation, coffee shops, bookstores, food options, and did I mention coffee shops and bookstores? All my favorite things were easily accessible. My junior year of college I m