Skip to main content

Months 1 and 2

Most of Bren's first month was spent in the NICU. There was not a lot that was focused on during his first month. We got use to being at home with a newborn. We had appointments right away with his primary care provider, and by right away I mean the second day we were home. He had weekly weight checks but that was about as much doctor interaction we had, which was nice. We had lots of visitors, it was like Bren was a celebrity.

Month 2 hit and that's when we realized the craziness that was going to be our lives.

Bren started speech therapy. Which I thought was crazy, how on earth do you do speech therapy with an infant?! The amount of times I have been asked that question, only validates that I was not alone in my questioning. So let me tell you what you do in speech therapy with infant. The ST watches him eat. While she does that she is checking his swallow, his suck, and his lungs. The first few appointments, Bren was not able to eat from a bottle and so we did taste trials with a pacifier. At this point Bren was eating through the tube still. January 3, 2018, a date I will remember for the rest of my life. That was the day I gave Bren his first bottle. My son, who was almost 3 months old, had a bottle for the first time. We were sitting in his doctor's office for his 2 month well child check. Bren had been doing such a great job swallowing, that he was going to do a swallow study in a week and half and needed to be able to drink from a bottle for it. I didn't want the study day being the first day he drank from a bottle so his doctor and I tested it out at his WCC. I held back tears as he so eagerly drank from a bottle for the first time. He so clearly loved it and he hasn't stopped loving it since.

Bren also started physical therapy. Again, I asked, what do you do with an infant during physical therapy? Once again, I was assured I was not the only one with these questions. Essentially we did lots of different stretches with Bren. One of the things the NICU team was concerned with was low muscle tone. As the psychical therapist assessed Bren, she thought he had high muscle tone and wanted to work on stretches so his muscles did not get tight(a sign of Cerebral Palsy).

We continued weekly weight checks. We also started his string of appointments in Madison. We learned Bren was not having any more seizures and stared weaning his off of one of his meds. We  watched as Bren tried to hold his head up on his own. We saw Bren smile and watch everything around him. We saw our little boy being a little boy and it brought so much joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICU

The NICU. This is one post I wish I didn't have to write. And I suppose I do not really have to, but it is such an important piece to this story, that it felt wrong to leave it out. We spent 19 days in the NICU. 19 days. Those were the longest 19 days of my life. We arrived there just hours after Bren was born. He was started on a cooling treatment. This treatment cooled Bren's body down but the true intent was to stop any secondary brain damage from happening. Cooling treatment lasts for 72 hours. Bren was scheduled to end this treatment and start warming on Saturday morning. Bren had a rough time warming up and did not actually complete the treatment until Sunday afternoon. 4.5 days. That's how long the treatment took. That's how long it took for me to be able to hold my baby boy. You see, I wasn't allowed to hold him when he was cooling because holding him would allow his body to warm up too much. That was hard. Really hard. I couldn't hold and comfort my b

A Letter To My Kiddo With Disabilities

Hey Kiddo,  When your dad and I first found out you were going to be part of our family; I couldn’t stop myself from dreaming and having goals for you. I was excited to watch you play soccer and be in the band. I was excited for you to love reading just as much as me. I even thought about what your long term future would hold and if you would get married and have your own kids.  The day of your birth was one of the happiest but also the scariest day of my life. We almost lost you. But thanks to an awesome, loving, gracious God and your amazing doctor, you were able to stay here on Earth with us. You survived our nightmare. You were not given very good outcomes in the NICU but that has never stopped you from progressing and flying past the expectations they put on you.  My dreams for you changed, that day in the NICU when they told us you have HIE and likely will develop CP and a list of other diagnoses and to never expect you to lead a “normal” life. Instead of dreaming of you

Welcome to Platteville

I stared at the blank page for a while before being able to put these words on a page. This piece was harder for me to write than others have been. There is something about putting words on paper that make it seem more real. There is something about anticipating the response of others that makes me hesitate. And that something? It’s fear. It’s fear of defeat. It’s fear of vulnerability. It’s fear that when I put these words on paper, things cannot or will not change. However, when I really stop to think about it, I do not want things to change. You see, I never wanted to live in a small town. Up until 5.5 years ago, I had lived in big cities. I grew up in Waukesha and then went to school in Eau Claire. Both of those cities are beautiful and have so much to offer. There are shops, bookstores, coffee shops, recreation, coffee shops, bookstores, food options, and did I mention coffee shops and bookstores? All my favorite things were easily accessible. My junior year of college I m