Skip to main content

Support

I mentioned in a earlier post about the support we have received throughout this adventure. We've said it a million times and we will continue to say it, it takes a village to raise a family. And by golly, we have the best village there is.

To our family- Thank you. You've been there for every phone call, every text, and every picture. You consistently check in on Bren(and us) to make sure things are going the best they can. Even though we mention how overwhelming your support can be, we really appreciate it.

To our friends(who have basically turned into family)- Thank you doesn't feel like enough, primarily because it is not. You've made us meals, helped pay for medical bills, bought us gas, and coffee(lots and lots of coffee). You visit. You check in on us. You help care for Bren. You've learned the uniqueness of Bren and how to feed him. You've endured many rant sessions about medical decisions. You've sat with us through the tears and listened to our fears. You've done all of this while continuing to point us to Jesus. You point us to the One who can be a miraculous healer(and by golly He has been). You remind us that He is the one who makes us whole. You remind us that He has amazing plans for Bren's life. You are superheros in our story.

To our High Point family- Yup. That's right, you all have reached family status. We appreciate you more than you know and far more than we could ever express. We absolutely could not do this journey without all of you. You cheer us on, listen to me complain, and help us in whatever way you can. You deal with my craziness and fears. You remind me that I am not crazy, I just love my son and trust me that reminder helps a lot. You make weekly weight checks fun and tolerable. You provide us with lots of smiles and trust me, Bren loves smiling at his favorite medical team. We love that you all are walking this journey with us. Thanks for providing a relaxing environment. Thanks for providing a place where we feel Jesus from the moment we walk in the door. You know you have a great medical team when they consistently pray with you and for you. You help us feel that this is all possible and we can do it.

To our work places- The support you have given us is remarkable. The time Drew was allowed off of work to stay in the NICU with us, was so treasured and appreciated. The time he is allowed to take off to come to appointments with me is also appreciated. The amount of support and understanding we received from GCDSS blew me away. We had completely planned on me returning to work and when we realized that was not possible, you all cheered me on and were completely understanding. Thank you for that. We hope that someday I will be able to return to the job I love but for now, we appreciate your continued support.

This journey would be a lot harder without all of you. We appreciate all of the support, love, and understanding over the last 4 months. We appreciate everyone who has committed to walking this journey with us. Thanks for being with us for the long haul.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICU

The NICU. This is one post I wish I didn't have to write. And I suppose I do not really have to, but it is such an important piece to this story, that it felt wrong to leave it out. We spent 19 days in the NICU. 19 days. Those were the longest 19 days of my life. We arrived there just hours after Bren was born. He was started on a cooling treatment. This treatment cooled Bren's body down but the true intent was to stop any secondary brain damage from happening. Cooling treatment lasts for 72 hours. Bren was scheduled to end this treatment and start warming on Saturday morning. Bren had a rough time warming up and did not actually complete the treatment until Sunday afternoon. 4.5 days. That's how long the treatment took. That's how long it took for me to be able to hold my baby boy. You see, I wasn't allowed to hold him when he was cooling because holding him would allow his body to warm up too much. That was hard. Really hard. I couldn't hold and comfort my b

A Letter To My Kiddo With Disabilities

Hey Kiddo,  When your dad and I first found out you were going to be part of our family; I couldn’t stop myself from dreaming and having goals for you. I was excited to watch you play soccer and be in the band. I was excited for you to love reading just as much as me. I even thought about what your long term future would hold and if you would get married and have your own kids.  The day of your birth was one of the happiest but also the scariest day of my life. We almost lost you. But thanks to an awesome, loving, gracious God and your amazing doctor, you were able to stay here on Earth with us. You survived our nightmare. You were not given very good outcomes in the NICU but that has never stopped you from progressing and flying past the expectations they put on you.  My dreams for you changed, that day in the NICU when they told us you have HIE and likely will develop CP and a list of other diagnoses and to never expect you to lead a “normal” life. Instead of dreaming of you

Welcome to Platteville

I stared at the blank page for a while before being able to put these words on a page. This piece was harder for me to write than others have been. There is something about putting words on paper that make it seem more real. There is something about anticipating the response of others that makes me hesitate. And that something? It’s fear. It’s fear of defeat. It’s fear of vulnerability. It’s fear that when I put these words on paper, things cannot or will not change. However, when I really stop to think about it, I do not want things to change. You see, I never wanted to live in a small town. Up until 5.5 years ago, I had lived in big cities. I grew up in Waukesha and then went to school in Eau Claire. Both of those cities are beautiful and have so much to offer. There are shops, bookstores, coffee shops, recreation, coffee shops, bookstores, food options, and did I mention coffee shops and bookstores? All my favorite things were easily accessible. My junior year of college I m