Skip to main content

"I Hear You and I See You"

A friend texted me the other day and said, "I hear you and I see you". Those words meant more to me than most other words have. Hearing that someone hears and sees me was an overwhelming sense of peace washing over me.

I don't need people to hear and see us in a "look at us and everything we do" kind of way. I don't need people to hear and see us in a "Oh, you poor things" kind of way. I so desperately want someone to come along side us and say, "This is hard. And it sucks. And it's exhausting. It's not what you expected and it's totally okay to feel whatever you feel". I want, no, I need people to come along side us and say, "I hear you and I see you".

As I think back to that text, I cannot help but think of how God orchestrated that so perfectly. I so desperately want a human, someone psychical, to come along side me and say those things but God says them to me everyday. The fact that I felt an overwhelming sense of peace wash over me after I read those words from that dear friend, tells me that God needed me to hear those words to remember that He says them all of the time. He hears us. He sees us. He's sad with us. He knows how exhausted we are but He gives us fuel to keep on going. God places people in our lives. God knew I needed that text. God knew that I needed that reminder. And I don't think wanting to hear "I hear you and I see you" from others is a bad thing, as long as I am acknowledging that God says it everyday and I am turning to him too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICU

The NICU. This is one post I wish I didn't have to write. And I suppose I do not really have to, but it is such an important piece to this story, that it felt wrong to leave it out. We spent 19 days in the NICU. 19 days. Those were the longest 19 days of my life. We arrived there just hours after Bren was born. He was started on a cooling treatment. This treatment cooled Bren's body down but the true intent was to stop any secondary brain damage from happening. Cooling treatment lasts for 72 hours. Bren was scheduled to end this treatment and start warming on Saturday morning. Bren had a rough time warming up and did not actually complete the treatment until Sunday afternoon. 4.5 days. That's how long the treatment took. That's how long it took for me to be able to hold my baby boy. You see, I wasn't allowed to hold him when he was cooling because holding him would allow his body to warm up too much. That was hard. Really hard. I couldn't hold and comfort my b...

What We Wish You Knew

 Parenting a child with special needs is one of the hardest yet most joyful things I have done. I have loved watching my child overcome milestones and obstacles. It brings me so much joy to watch my child be so proud of himself. The constant need for therapies, the "extras" that have to go with us wherever we go, the uncertainty of what the future holds, and all the times we have heard "we will just have to wait and see"  are some of the hardest parts of this journey.  I asked some of my fellow superhero parents what they wish the world knew about raising a child with special needs and this is what they said:  1. You likely do not realize all the extra things that happen in our day that take up time . There are extra feeding times, equipment to haul around, catheters to change, therapies to do, diapers to change well past the "normal" diaper age, extra dishes, extra food to make, and phone calls and emails to specialists. These are just some of the extra t...

Support

I mentioned in a earlier post about the support we have received throughout this adventure. We've said it a million times and we will continue to say it, it takes a village to raise a family. And by golly, we have the best village there is. To our family- Thank you. You've been there for every phone call, every text, and every picture. You consistently check in on Bren(and us) to make sure things are going the best they can. Even though we mention how overwhelming your support can be, we really appreciate it. To our friends(who have basically turned into family)- Thank you doesn't feel like enough, primarily because it is not. You've made us meals, helped pay for medical bills, bought us gas, and coffee(lots and lots of coffee). You visit. You check in on us. You help care for Bren. You've learned the uniqueness of Bren and how to feed him. You've endured many rant sessions about medical decisions. You've sat with us through the tears and listened to our...