Skip to main content

The First Year

I have no idea how to begin this posted. I can't tell you how many times I started this post and then deleted it because it just did not seem right. This post isn't what I intended it to be but it's everything I needed it to be.

It's been a year. It's been a shitty year. It's been a joyful year. It's been an overwhelming year. It's been a year full of learning and new experiences. It was not how I expected our first year to go, but I wouldn't trade this year for anything.

I've said it before and I will say it at least a thousand more times; we have an amazing community. Our community is what helped make this year what it was. They sat with us, cried with us, listened to me wallow, and loved us through it all. But my favorite part about this amazing community we have is how they love to celebrate Bren with us, every "little" thing was as big to them as it was to us.

About a week before my son's birthday, I sent this text to my 5 closest friends:

This time a year ago I was on maternity leave anxiously awaiting Bren’s arrival. Little did I know that it would be the last few days I would ever feel “normal” again. But in the past year, I’ve gained wonderful friends and deepened my relationships with others. You have walked a journey with us you never expected to. As I type this I am sobbing because I am so overwhelmed with gratitude for you and (husband's name) and your kiddos. You have made me laugh more times than I count. You continuously point me back to Jesus. You let me wallow and you willingly sit in the mess with me. I was never surprised about this journey but I am surprised about the amazing people I’ve met along the way. Thanks for being there for the hard stuff. Thanks for celebrating every milestone with us. Thanks for being one of my best friends. I love you. 

A few days later, I saw this image: 

I promise you, I am only this strong because of the community I have. We COULD NOT have gotten through the diagnosis and this first year without them. Our community has definitely changed over the last year and that's okay. When crisis hits, you find out who your real friends are.

I tell people that this was not God's intended plan for our life. He did not want our world to be broken in this way. But He knew we would need people surrounding us and He perfectly planned the best people to join #teambren. I have no doubt that God orchestrated those new relationships.

Because of how amazing God is and how encouraging our community is; we have gotten to enjoy and celebrate so many milestones Bren "was never suppose to meet". We have watched him eat from a bottle and eat some solids. We have watched him take steps with support. We have watched him sit independently and play.

There are still SO many things we hope to see Bren do in life but we choose to celebrate all of the "little" things because to us they are big things. They are things they told us never to expect Bren to be able to do. Without these big milestones, we never could hope for the other things. And even if those other things don't come, Bren is already surpassing expectations and showing people how big our God is. No mountain is too big to overcome and Bren is a living example of that everyday.

Happy Birthday, Bren.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICU

The NICU. This is one post I wish I didn't have to write. And I suppose I do not really have to, but it is such an important piece to this story, that it felt wrong to leave it out. We spent 19 days in the NICU. 19 days. Those were the longest 19 days of my life. We arrived there just hours after Bren was born. He was started on a cooling treatment. This treatment cooled Bren's body down but the true intent was to stop any secondary brain damage from happening. Cooling treatment lasts for 72 hours. Bren was scheduled to end this treatment and start warming on Saturday morning. Bren had a rough time warming up and did not actually complete the treatment until Sunday afternoon. 4.5 days. That's how long the treatment took. That's how long it took for me to be able to hold my baby boy. You see, I wasn't allowed to hold him when he was cooling because holding him would allow his body to warm up too much. That was hard. Really hard. I couldn't hold and comfort my b

A Letter To My Kiddo With Disabilities

Hey Kiddo,  When your dad and I first found out you were going to be part of our family; I couldn’t stop myself from dreaming and having goals for you. I was excited to watch you play soccer and be in the band. I was excited for you to love reading just as much as me. I even thought about what your long term future would hold and if you would get married and have your own kids.  The day of your birth was one of the happiest but also the scariest day of my life. We almost lost you. But thanks to an awesome, loving, gracious God and your amazing doctor, you were able to stay here on Earth with us. You survived our nightmare. You were not given very good outcomes in the NICU but that has never stopped you from progressing and flying past the expectations they put on you.  My dreams for you changed, that day in the NICU when they told us you have HIE and likely will develop CP and a list of other diagnoses and to never expect you to lead a “normal” life. Instead of dreaming of you

How Can I Help?

The number one question I get asked (Okay, maybe it's the number two question) is, "how can I help?" For a variety of reasons, that is the hardest question for me to answer on the spot. One of those reasons, is because I hate asking for help and accepting help. Another reason is because I am generally so overwhelmed with other thoughts and schedules and all other life things roaming around in my head that I don't have the capacity to think about how you can help on the spot. So here is a list of things that I have thought of that could be helpful. And really many of these things can be helpful for any mom with young kiddos. 1. Meals. If you have time in you schedule and room in your budget to bring a meal of two that would be incredibly helpful. After a busy day of appointments cooking is the last thing on my mind. I am generally too exhausted to cook let alone think of the food we have in the house. 2. Prayer. Please don't pray that our child will get better.